Box 5788, Stn A., Calgary, Southern Alberta, Alberta, Canada
HISTORY OF THE CGCC They golfed on dry pastures and sand greens ringed with barbed wire. That was 1897, the year Calgary?s golfers formed The Calgary Golf Club. They were golf squatters, playing on vacant land south of the CPR tracks, just behind the Palliser Hotel. As the cowtown of Calgary, population about 3500, expanded, the golfers dragged their nomadic clubhouse south, staying just ahead of the new subdivisions. By 1906, the Club had been pushed two miles south to Elbow Park. There, the members set their clubhouse by the Elbow River, and flagged their fifth green conveniently close to the Blue Rock Hotel, the last whiskey bar on the trail to Fort McLeod (now the corner of Elbow Drive and 4th Street SW).